Attached is the letter that was received from the Minister of Transportation in response to RORA’s open letter sent to Premier Ford on March 29, 2021.
Stop Subway Option 3
Letter to Metrolinx re: Yonge North Subway Extension (Option 3)
Last week, Metrolinx met with RORA Executive to provide more information about their Initial Business Case for the Yonge North Subway Extension. Please find attached our follow-up letter that we sent to Metrolinx on April 7, 2021.
Metrolinx’s Presentation on its Initial Business Case for the Subway Extension
Below is the link to Metrolinx’s presentation on its Initial Business Case for the Yonge North Subway Extension. This presentation was shared at the March 22nd General Committee of Markham Council.
Open Letter to Premier Ford (March 29, 2021)
An open letter from RORA and neighbourhood residents was sent to Premier Ford on March 29, 2021. The letter is requesting a review and rejection of the subway extension plan that proposes to tunnel through the heart of our neighbourhood.
The current plan will devastate our Thornhill neighbourhood, essentially ruining it, forever. While we support the expansion of transit, we are confident there is a better solution.
Yonge North Subway Extension – RORA Objection Letter Submitted
On Thursday, Metrolinx released the Yonge North Subway extension plan. While all details are not yet available, we understand that this plan proposes to run the subway extension under our neighbourhood! As the subway travels north of Centre Street/Thornhill Summit Drive under Yonge Street, Metrolinx is proposing that it swing east close to Royal Orchard Blvd. and travel northeast, under homes in our neighbourhood (at depths between 15 – 30 metres) including Donalbain Crescent, Thorny Brae Drive, Banquo Road and Kirk Drive. In addition, no costing for a Royal Orchard station was included in the plan*. The attached objection letter, submitted to Markham City Council, describes our concerns.
Opportunity to Add Your Voice!
To express your concerns or support advocacy work:
1) Please sign the petition expressing your opposition to subway tunnelling under homes in Thornhill’s Royal Orchard neighbourhood.
2) Direct questions and comments to Metrolinx at: YongeSubwayExt@metrolinx.com or 416-202-7000.
3) Livestream (from the City of Markham website) the March 22 General Committee of Markham Council at 9:00 a.m. to hear a presentation from Metrolinx on its Initial Business Case for the Yonge North Subway Extension. If you would like to address the Committee, please notify the City Clerk in advance by email to email@example.com. Each deputant will be given up to five minutes to speak
4) We are seeking people to help lead RORA advocacy on a) the Yonge North Subway extension plan, and b) the condo development proposals in our neighbourhood. Please contact RORA by visiting our website (royalorchardra.ca) or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), if you are interested! Thank you.
* For more Metrolinx information on the Yonge North Subway Extension, please visit: metrolinx.com/yongesubwayext.